Log in

Register




LONDON, July 13, 2018 (MENA) - Liverpool have confirmed that Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane will be joining them on their pre-season tour of the United States, Sky Sports reported on Friday.

The forward pair are yet to report back for training following their involvement in the World Cup with Egypt and Senegal respectively.

With both players exiting the competition after the group stages, they will now return to club duty for the tour, which begins a week on Saturday.

Manager Jurgen Klopp said of the pair: "They had their holiday and then they'll come with us to the USA. They only had three weeks' holiday so it means they didn't lose too much.

"We have to see how they are and then we'll see if they can play in the games. They will be there," he said.

Klopp also confirmed that striker Roberto Firmino, who reached the quarter-finals with Brazil, will report back for Liverpool's second training camp in France later in the month.

The week-long US tour will feature games against Borussia Dortmund, Manchester City and Manchester United.

Mo in the movies?

By Ramadan A. Kader

Liverpool marksman Mohamed Salah has captured local and foreign headlines in recent weeks. The circumstances of his first World Cup appearance and the Pharaohs’ miserable performances in Russia provided gristle to the news mills.

The Pharaohs’ star striker looked sad during the global tournament despite the fact that he was the one who had netted Egypt’s only two goals in their three matches.

The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) was accused of politically exploiting Salah in much-hyped photo sessions with Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov in Grozny, which was the Pharaohs’ base camp. Kadyrov gave Salah honorary citizenship at a large banquet. The West charges Chechen authorities with human rights abuses, accusations that Grozny denies.

EFA President Hany Abu Reeda last week denied any political manipulation of Salah and said that Grozny was selected by the erstwhile Argentine Hector Cuper despite being far away from venues of the Egyptian squad’s games.

Abu Reeda accused the British media of creating what he termed as the alleged crisis of Salah’s political exploitation.

Salah has kept silent amid the entire row. He is currently on holiday before joining
Liverpool training sessions for the new season.

The 26-year-old professional is poised to make his debut as an actor, according to an Egyptian newspaper.

Salah has received an offer from Egyptian actor Youssef el-Sherif to appear in the second sequel of his film “The International Prof”, Al Watan said.

El-Sherif made the offer during a visit to Salah and was able to convince the football icon of appearing in five scenes, the paper added, citing an unnamed member of the film crew.

“Salah has accepted the offer and left the details for his agent Rami Abbas to sort out with the producing company,” the source said.

“Salah and Youssef met more than once in London and are set to meet again during Salah’s current holiday in Cairo,” the source added.

In 2009, el-Sherif starred in the first part of “Al Alami” (The International Prof), which is set in the realm of world football. In the film, he portrayed an Egyptian professional, who leads Egypt to the World Cup.

The storyline incredibly echoes Salah’s successful effort in last October when he sent Egypt to the competition with a double against Congo in their thrilling World Cup qualifier. That match ended in a 2-1 victory for Egypt.

Salah, a native of a small village in Egypt’s Nile Delta, is riding a wave of popularity in the homeland not only because of his on-pitch brilliance but due to his characteristic humility as well.

He is one of very few players in the national team who have been spared Egyptians’ fury over the Pharaohs’ abysmal showing at the World Cup and their humiliating exit.
Last week, hundreds of fans flocked to a villa where Salah was staying on the outskirts of Cairo after the address of his private residence was leaked online.

The devoted congregation showered him with praise. He acknowledged the gesture with his trademark modesty and ready smile.

 

 

LONDON, July 2, 2018 (News Wires) - Egyptian international Mohamed Salah has set his sights on silverware at Liverpool after signing a new five-year deal with the Reds.

In a message recorded for the club's social media channels, Salah said: "Hello to Liverpool fans, I am very happy to say I have signed a new contract with the club.

“My first year at the club was an incredible experience for me and my family. I have to thank everyone at Liverpool and also you, our supporters.

“I know we can achieve a lot of things together (and) I’m looking forward to seeing you. See you soon.”

The financial terms were not disclosed.

Salah's signing of a new long-term contract is a major boost for Liverpool's ambitions of delivering trophies, said manager Jurgen Klopp on Monday.

Klopp added the fact the 26-year-old striker -- who scored 44 goals in just 52 appearances last season -- had signed such a deal reflected his belief the club were on course for a successful era.

Salah's goals, after joining last year from Italian outfit AS Roma for an initial £37 million ($48.7 million), played a large part in Liverpool reaching the Champions League final against Real Madrid.

"(The new contract) demonstrates two things very clearly -- his belief in Liverpool and our belief in him," Klopp told the Liverpool website Monday.

"I think this news can be seen for what it is; rewarding a person who performed and contributed greatly for the team and the club last season," said Klopp.

"We want world-class talent to see they have a home at Anfield where they can fulfil all their professional dreams and ambitions - we are working hard together to achieve this.

"When someone like Salah commits and says this place is my home now, it speaks very loudly I think.

"Equally, our commitment to him says we see his value and want him to grow even more and get even better within our environment."

LONDON, July 2, 2018 (News Wires) - Egyptian international Mohamed Salah’s signing of a new long-term contract is a major boost for Liverpool’s ambitions of delivering trophies, said manager Jurgen Klopp on Monday.

Klopp added the fact the 26-year-old striker - who scored 44 goals in just 52 appearances last season - had signed such a deal reflected his belief the club were on course for a successful era.

Liverpool have been praised for their free-flowing style of football under Klopp, but the fact remains the charismatic German has taken them to three finals in his tenure and fallen short on each occasion.

Salah’s goals, after joining last year from Italian outfit AS Roma for an initial £37 million, played a large part in Liverpool reaching the Champions League final against Real Madrid.

However, that proved a rare sour note for the player as Salah was slammed to the turf by Real Madrid’s Sergio Ramos, causing a painful separation of his left shoulder.

“(The new contract) demonstrates two things very clearly - his belief in Liverpool and our belief in him,” Klopp told the Liverpool website.

“I think this news can be seen for what it is; rewarding a person who performed and contributed greatly for the team and the club last season,” said Klopp.

“We want world-class talent to see they have a home at Anfield where they can fulfil all their professional dreams and ambitions – we are working hard together to achieve this.

“When someone like Mo Salah commits and says this place is my home now, it speaks very loudly I think.

“Equally, our commitment to him says we see his value and want him to grow even more and get even better within our environment.”

Salah’s exploits both for Liverpool and Egypt - in inspiring them to their first World Cup finals since 1990 - brought him several awards including African player of the year.

However, Klopp said the refreshing thing about Salah is that he is a team man through and through which will make progressing and winning trophies easier.

“The key thing to remember is the best thing about Mo is that he never sees himself as being more important than the team or anyone else within it,” said Klopp.

“He recognises his teammates and this club helped him achieve individual success last season. He sees the individual awards come because he is part of something bigger that is special.”

Klopp - who is taking charge of his first day’s pre-season training including Guinean arrival Naby Keita signed last year but under the agreement remained with his German club RB Leipzig - said the club needed to answer their fans demands for continual progress.

“Mo reflects where we are as a team, I think,” said Klopp.

“Last season was special with many special moments - but we want more. We want to be more successful and achieve more together – as the supporters sang so loudly, ‘we’re never gonna stop’.

“This has to be the attitude individually and collectively.”

Salah registered the second-highest total of goals in a season in Liverpool’s history, just three behind Ian Rush’s record of 47 and surpassing Roger Hunt’s haul of 42.

Thirty-two of those came in the Premier League, setting a new record in a 38-game season and earning him the Golden Boot.

Salah was named as both the PFA Players’ Player of the Year and the Football Writers’ Association’s Footballer of the Year for his efforts in 2017-18.

LIVERPOOL, England, July 2, 2018 (News Wires) - English Premier League top scorer Mohamed Salah has signed a new five-year contract with Liverpool. The Egyptian forward signed the deal a year after arriving at Liverpool from Roma, and as he tries to recover from a disastrous six-week period including injury and World Cup elimination. 

The new contract comes without a release clause.

Liverpool coach Juergen Klopp said the new contract for Salah was a sign of the club's ambition. "We want world-class talent to see they have a home at Anfield where they can fulfil all their professional dreams and ambitions - we are working hard together to achieve this," he said in a club statement Monday.

"When someone like Mo Salah commits and says this place is my home now, it speaks very loudly."

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Salah scored 44 goals from 52 games for Liverpool last season in all competitions, including 32 goals in the Premier League.

The 26-year-old netted 32 times in the Premier League, breaking the record for the most goals scored in a 38-game season, and helped the Merseyside club to a fourth-place finish.

However, he lasted just half an hour into Liverpool's Champions League final against Real Madrid before being forced off with an injured shoulder following a challenge from Madrid's Sergio Ramos. Liverpool lost 3-1.

That injury hampered Salah throughout Egypt's first World Cup campaign since 1990, which ended with defeat in all three games.

CAIRO, June 30, 2018 (News Wires) - Mohamed Salah, Egypt's beloved striker, greeted an adoring crowd who turned up at his doorstep after his Cairo address was leaked on Facebook.

According to media reports, Salah showed no sign of anger as he received fans late Thursday night, posing for photos and signing autographs.

Dozens of Egyptian fans showed up shortly after his arrival with Egypt's national team following a disappointing World Cup showing.

Egypt lost all three of its matches in the World Cup against Uruguay, Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Salah missed the opening match with Uruguay because of a shoulder injury. He scored two goals in the matches against Russia and Saudi Arabia.

On Friday, fans gathered again at the Cairo airport to greet the 26-year-old Salah before he set off for Lebanon with his wife.

VOLGOGRAD, Russia, June 26, 2018 (MENA) - Liverpool winger Mohamed Salah has apologised to the Egyptian fans after the national team eliminated from the 2018 FIFA World Cup's group stage.

Thanks to the fans who came to support us here in the three matches, I know it is difficult for them, like us," Salah told reporters following a third defeat in the tournament in Monday clash against Saudi Arabia.

"Some players here do not have the required experience. Thanks to all of them and we will back again in 2022," he added.

The Pharaohs, who reached the 2018 finals for the first time since 1990, received three loses against Uruguay, hosts Russia, and Saudi Arabia.

 

 

 

 

VOLGOGRAD, Russia, June 26, 2018 (News Wires) - Mohamed Salah has apologised for Egypt's early exit from the World Cup.

Egypt crashed out of the 2018 edition of the tournament in Russia without picking up a single point after a late defeat against Saudi Arabia and two other losses at the group stage.

'We want to apologise to all the Egyptian fans, who came to support us here in the three matches,' Salah told beIN Sports.

'I know it is difficult for them, like us. Just want to say that Egypt reached the World Cup after 28 years, some players here do not have the required experience, thanks to all of them and we will back again in 2022.'

Salah struggled with a shoulder injury he picked up in the Champions League final prior to the start of the competition, missing the opening game against Uruguay.

While the Liverpool forward managed to score in the game against the Saudis and Russia, he was unable to help his side progress.

And the 26-year-old has apologised for that, before insisting the team would be back for the 2022 competition in Qatar.

VOLGOGRAD, Russia, June 25, 2018 (MENA) - Egyptian football national team's director Ehab Lehita denied media reports published on a foreign website about the retirement of Egyptian winger Mohamed Salah from international football.

In statements to reporters, Lehita stressed late Sunday that Salah did not speak with any of Egypt's technical staff about his willing to quit international football.

Salah only uses his official Twitter account to make statements and express his own views, Lehita added.

Speaking about the controversy surrounding Egypt's choice of Grozny as their base, Lehita said that it was FIFA which put Grozny on the list of cities to host the Egyptian national team.

Lehita stressed that Egypt's mission in Russia has nothing to do with policies of states or religious matters.

Salah has been reportedly considering whether to quit international football after being publicly blasted for posing with Chechnya leader Ramzan Kadyrov for a picture.

 

VOLGOGRAD, Russia, June 23, 2018 (News Wires) - Chechnya leader Ramzan Kadyrov has granted honorary citizenship to Egypt's striker Mohamed Salah at a banquet held to say goodbye to Egypt's World Cup squad.

The Friday night banquet was held at Kadyrov's presidential palace in Grozny, and the Chechen leader posed with Salah for pictures while pinning a medal on his chest.

"It is a deserved honor," Kadyrov wrote on Russian social media, adding that Salah's presence had driven "unprecedented interest in football".

It was the third time in two weeks that the Chechen leader has shown his admiration for 26-year-old Liverpool striker Salah.

Kadyrov attended Egypt's first practice session in Grozny on June 10. After watching for about 30 minutes, he drove to the squad's nearby hotel where Salah, nursing a shoulder injury, was relaxing in his room.

The Chechen leader asked Salah to accompany him back to the stadium, where the two later posed for photos and greeted the 5,000 fans who had tickets to watch Egypt practice.

According to Egypt's football federation, the Chechen leadership sent a large cake to the team hotel on June 15 to mark Salah's 26th birthday, which coincided with the Pharaohs' 1-0 loss to Uruguay in their opening match of this World Cup, their first in 28 years.

Kadyrov lured Maradona, Luis Figo and Steve McManaman to Grozny in 2011 for an exhibition game marking the opening of a new 30,000 seat stadium.

Last year, Brazil's Ronaldinho posted photos of himself with Kadyrov during a visit to Grozny, and boxer Floyd Mayweather lavishly praised Kadyrov while they were being filmed together in the Chechen capital.

The Egyptians were leaving Grozny on Saturday for Volgograd, where they will play Saudi Arabia in their last group match on Monday. Both teams have already been eliminated from the 2018 World Cup.

Page 1 of 17