LIVERPOOL, September 22, 2018 (News Wires) - Liverpool maintained their 100 per cent record in the Premier League with a 3-0 win over Southampton at Anfield.
Wesley Hoedt’s unfortunate own goal spurred the hosts into life, with Joel Matip’s excellent header doubling their advantage.
Mohamed Salah contributed significantly, shaking away the weight of expectation and rediscovering that smile, wide as the Mersey, having accelerated ahead of Cedric Soares to met a ball which had deflected down from the cross bar and score. The goal sent his side in 3-0 ahead at half-time.
The only sour note for Liverpool was that Virgil van Dijk left the field with what looked to be a rib injury shortly after the break.
The win sends Liverpool back to the top of the table, although Chelsea will able to leapfrog them should they win by two goals against West Ham on Sunday. This also represents the first time in the club's history the Reds have begun a season with seven wins in a row.
LIVERPOOL, September 5, 2018 (News Wires) - Former Liverpool player Harry Kewell has praised the Reds’ forwards Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, and Roberto Firmino.
Sadio Mane has been in incredible form this season, having scored four goals in four league games, making him the current top scorer alongside Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.
Meanwhile, Mohamed Salah has contributed to two goals and two assists in four league games while Roberto Firmino had a slow start to the season, scoring just one league goal.
“They (Salah, Mane and Firmino) are exciting and you look at the players Jurgen Klopp has on the bench to come on… You look at their front three: it’s frightening,” Kewell said.
“We always talk about Liverpool and think ‘do they need that 30 goal a season striker?’
“But, for me, Firmino has been excellent, I can’t fault him. He works so hard in positions on and off the ball which is fantastic.
“Then you have Mane and Salah driving at you at any given moment and both of them seem to have a little competition with each other to see who can score the most goals. It’s just excellent,” he added.
Liverpool, who are top of the league table, travel to Wembley Stadium following the international break as they face title challengers Tottenham on September 15th.
LIVERPOOL, September 1, 2018 (News Wires) - Jürgen Klopp is confident Mohamed Salah’s row with the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) will not affect his focus at Liverpool or commitment to the national team.
The Liverpool manager talked with Salah about his dispute with the EFA over security and image rights, which resurfaced this week when the forward outlined his concerns over Egypt’s World Cup preparations.
Klopp does not believe the controversy will distract Salah on the pitch, or prompt him to quit international football, but admits the dispute needs to be resolved as a matter of urgency.
“I’m not worried about his focus, because I spoke to him,” he said. “I can’t see that [affecting his club form] at the moment. It’s 100% clear – he wants to play for his country from his heart and he wants to play for us. The rest is … you have to sort it and they have to sort it. When was the last time Egypt had a player like him? They need to get used to it. So far, maybe it was not perfect. Make it perfect, and then everything will be fine in the end.”
Salah has scored twice in Liverpool’s 100% start to the Premier League campaign and Klopp believes his star man is playing with more confidence than 12 months ago.
Klopp said: “He’s a very smart person, very smart. He’s not a kid any more and he doesn’t expect that everything will be at the highest level all the time. If it is not like that any more then he will dig deep. He is completely settled. We spoke about everything and he is completely fine.
“He’s not thinking about the end of the season and he has no number [of goals] in his mind. Last season he didn’t think: ‘Let’s score a new record’; it was only ever: ‘Let’s score goals, let’s play football.’ To me he looks exactly the same again only with more confidence because now he knows it’s possible. But that is the only change.”
MONACO, August 31, 2018 (News Wires) - Mohamed Salah insisted he is ‘proud’ to represent Egyptians at the highest level in football after missing out on UEFA’s Player of the Year to Luka Modric.
Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric pipped Salah to the prize with the Liverpool star in attendance at the Champions League group stage draw on Thursday night.
Salah sat in front of Sergio Ramos, whose tackle on the forward in the Champions League final wrecked Liverpool’s chance of winning the trophy and forced Salah into a race against time to be fit for the World Cup.
The Liverpool star enjoyed a record-breaking season in England and spoke of his pride to be the first Egyptian nominated for the UEFA award.
‘When you do something for the first time, nobody has done it as an Egyptian before, something great, it’s something I have to be proud of,’ Salah said. ‘There are 100 million Egyptians who see me as a role model.
‘That’s something I have to be very proud of. ‘Sometimes you feel pressure because of that, but it also makes you work harder to do your job better and better and better.’
Football fans watched closely the interaction between Ramos and Salah and the internet went into meltdown when the defender touched his rival’s shoulder when retaking his seat.
Ramos accepted the award of the Defender of the Year and acknowledged Salah as he returned to his seat, but was quite noticably given the cold shoulder.
Salah shone in his debut campaign at Anfield last season as the Reds reached the Champions League final, only to be beaten by Real Madrid.
The former Roma and Chelsea winger bagged 44 goals in all competitions including 11 in the European competition.
Despite those impressive feats, the 26-year-old missed out on any of the 2018 UEFA awards with new Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid’s Luka Modric named Forward of the Year and Player of the Year respectively.
But it’s not awards, or indeed even trophies, that keep Salah on the ball after his record-breaking season last time out.
Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo is furious that UEFA only recognised him as the best forward in Europe, who scored the best goal of the season.
In the long history of Cristiano Ronaldo's petty behaviours, we may have reached a glorious peak. Let this story sink in, savour every word.
The UEFA awards took place around the Champions League draw yesterday and Ronaldo had given every indication he would attend. He had a place set for him in the arena and his personal photographer was even in attendance.
But when the lights came up, there was no Ronaldo to be seen. He was conspicuous in his absence when he was named winner of the awards for the Forward of the Season and Goal of the Season and wasn't there to collect the trophies. Former colleagues at Real Madrid were said to be surprised he was nowhere in sight.
So what was eating Cristiano Ronaldo? Well, simply the fact that he had seemingly learned it would be Luka Modric who would be awarded with the Champions League Player of the Season. Marca describes it as 'the strange case of a frightened Cristiano Ronaldo'. And in Portuguese paper Record, agent Jorge Mendes confirmed Ronaldo's disappointment.
Juventus director Beppe Marotta weighed in on the matter too. He has learned quickly that when you have Ronaldo at your club, you have to worship the turf he walks on.
“I can say it was a personal decision not to come and he made it earlier today,” Marotta told Sky Sport Italia.
LONDON, August 28, 2018 - Liverpool and Egypt forward Mohamed Salah has revived a dispute with the Egyptian Football Association and accused them of ignoring his complaints over image rights.
The 26-year-old was upset in April when his image was used to promote Egypt’s official sponsor WE, while Salah has a sponsorship deal with rival company Vodafone.
“It’s normal that a football federation seeks to solve the problems of its players so they can feel comfortable. But in fact, what I see is exactly the opposite,” Salah said on Twitter.
“It is not normal that my messages and my lawyer’s messages are ignored. I don’t know why all this (is happening). Do you not have time to respond to us?!”
The Egyptian Football Association (EFA) said in a statement it would address a letter sent by Salah’s lawyer, Ramy Abbas, on Monday.
Abbas also tweeted: “We asked for guarantees regarding Mohamed’s wellbeing whilst with the national team, and assurances that the image rights violations wouldn’t happen again. That’s all. They have yet to respond.”
Salah is expected to be called up for Egypt’s next international, an African Cup of Nations qualifier against Niger on September 8.
NYON, Aug 20, 2018 (MENA) - Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) announced the list of candidates to win the best player in Europe award for 2018.
The list included Egyptian international and Liverpool star Mohamed Salah, Portuguese international and Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo and Croatian international and Real Madrid star Luka Modric.
The winner will be announced on August 30 in Monaco, on the sidelines of the UEFA Champions League's group stage draw for the next season, UEFA said on its official website.