Log in

Register




MOSCOW, Sept 21, 2018 (News Wires) - Moscow and Beijing lashed out Friday at Washington's new anti-Russian sanctions that also target China for the first time, warning the United States could face consequences.

President Vladimir Putin's spokesman accused Washington of playing unfairly and using new measures to squeeze Moscow out of the global arms market, after the United States slapped sanctions on China for buying Russian warplanes and missiles and threatened to target its other clients.

"This is unfair competition, dishonest competition, an attempt to use non-market methods that run counter to norms and principles of international trade to squeeze the main competitor of US makers out of the markets," said Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov.

Peskov said that "Washington's continued sanctions hysterics" dealt a new blow to US-Russia ties but could not immediately say if Moscow would retaliate, or how.

On Thursday, Washington placed financial sanctions on the Equipment Development Department of the Chinese Defence Ministry, and its top administrator, for its recent purchase of Russian Sukhoi Su-35 fighter jets and S-400 surface-to-air missile systems.

It was the first time a third country has been punished under the CAATSA sanctions legislation for dealing with Russia, signalling Donald Trump's readiness to risk relations with other countries over Moscow.

Beijing warning 

Beijing -- which is locked in a trade war with the United States -- urged Washington to withdraw sanctions or "bear the consequences".

"The US actions have seriously violated the basic principles of international relations and seriously damaged the relations between the two countries and the two militaries," said Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang.

"We strongly urge the US to immediately correct their mistake and withdraw their so-called sanctions, otherwise the US will have to bear the consequences."

United in their resentment of America's global influence, China and Russia have sought in recent years to tighten up their ties and this month conducted week-long joint military drills, Moscow's largest ever war games.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned that Russia would act to end its dependency on the US dollar.

"We will do everything to stop being dependent on the countries who behave towards their partners in this way," Lavrov said on a visit to Sarajevo.

His deputy, Sergei Ryabkov, earlier said Washington was rocking global stability and said sarcastically that placing sanctions on Russia has become Washington's favourite "pastime".

"It would be good for them to remember there is such a concept as global stability which they are thoughtlessly undermining by whipping up tensions in Russian-American ties," said Ryabkov.

"Playing with fire is silly, it can become dangerous," he said in a statement, noting the latest round of anti-Russian measures was the 60th since 2011.

Arms exports are an important source of revenue for the country and last year Russia sold more than $14 billion worth of arms overseas.

US officials said that the US could consider similar action against other countries taking delivery of Russian fighter jets and missiles.

Turkey, which is embroiled in a dispute with Washington over the detention of a US pastor, is in talks to buy S-400 missile systems from Russia.

CHINA, September 19, 2018 (2018) - It might just be third time lucky for the Lebogang Shange when he competes from Sunday in the ‘Around Taihu’ International Multi-day Race Walking event in China.

Last year Shange and Australia’s Dane Bird-Smith were involved in a titanic battle over four days. It ended with the Aussie beating Shange by 45s. The first time the HPC based athlete competed, he finished fourth overall.

There is a little bit more at stake on Sunday as the 20km race, the first stage forms part of the IAAF Race Walking Challenge-series. Which means it is going to be competition within a competition. Shange is currently eighth overall on the IAAF standings, but that could change if he is on top of his game.

The big question is which Shange is going to rock up on Sunday? He is not sure of that himself.

“Results-wise 2018 has not been a good year for me. There had been some good performances but to be honest, I did not achieve any of the goals I set for myself. It is not due to a lack of trying. I was unfortunate to have some health issues which made an impact on my abilities. Luckily everything is sorted now.

“This I can promise. I will be racing to win from Sunday on, but it is going to be tough. Because the 20km race has now got ‘IAAF gold status’ it has attracted some of the best walkers. The weather conditions in China can also be tricky. It can rain at any time, or it can be cold. Personally, I prefer it to be hot and humid. That is when I am at my best.”

However, Shange proved last year during the 10km race that he can hold his own in adverse weather conditions. There was a torrential downpour during the race which meant the race walkers often had to stride through deep puddles. Shange did not get unsettled. He made his move after seven kilometres and went on to win setting a new South African record of 39:48.

After Sunday’s 20km race the next two stages will be contested over 10km. The ‘Around Taihu’ is one of the best paydays on the international race walking calendar. The first prize in the team competition amounts roughly to R400 000 and the second prize is R200 000. The prize money for the individual winner is R130 000.

Shange has already started planning for next year’s World Championships in Doha.

“I hope to qualify early next year in Australia for the Championships. If I do so, it will mean that I mainly could just focus on ensuring that I will be at my best by the time I need to race. My Hungarian coach, Sandor R?cz, is quite big on leaving nothing to chance. We know I will have to race in extreme heat in Doha that is why I will be doing a lot of my training on a treadmill in a specially heated room to get my body to adapt.”

Wayne Snyman who is also an HPC based athlete is also competing from Sunday. He is highly motivated as he describes his performances up to now as a dismal failure.

“I got something to prove because I know I am better racing walker than the results I had so far. I need to start believing in my abilities and race more aggressively.”

BEIJING, September 19, 2018 (Reuters) - China foreign ministry said on Wednesday China does not interfere in the internal affairs of other countries, when asked about US President Donald Trump’s tweet accusing China of trying to sway the US election.

Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang made the comment at a regular briefing in Beijing.

Trump tweeted on Tuesday that China was “actively trying to impact and change our election by attacking our farmers, ranchers and industrial workers because of their loyalty to me.”

 

BEIJING, Sept 18, 2018 (News Wires) - China on Tuesday announced tariffs on US goods worth $60 billion in retaliation for President Donald Trump's decision to slap duties on $200 billion in Chinese products next week.

Tariffs of between five and 10 percent will take effect on some 5,200 US products on Monday, on the same day as the new US duties, the finance ministry said.

The two side already traded tariff salvos on $50 billion in goods from each country in the summer.

"If the United States insists on raising tariffs even more, China will respond accordingly," the finance ministry said in a statement.

China also announced that it was lodging a new complaint at the World Trade Organization in its tariffs battle with the United States.

Beijing had previously warned that it would target $60 billion in US goods if Trump made good on his threat to impose the new tariffs.

The lower Chinese figure highlights Beijing's inability to match the US dollar-for-dollar in a tariffs war.

The US imported around $500 billion worth of products from China last year, compared to $130 billion in US goods imported by the Asian country.

Trump threatened to hit another $267 billion in Chinese goods if Beijing took retaliatory action.

The Chinese finance ministry did not provide a detailed list of products to be hit by the new tariffs on Monday.

A preliminary list in August said products ranging from pig hides to cocoa butter and condoms would be targeted with tariffs of five to 25 per cent. It was unclear if the tariffs announced on Tuesday were lower to match the US plan.

The US said the Chinese imports will face 10 per cent tariffs through the end of the year, and then the rate will jump to 25 per cent.

NEW YORK, Sept 18, 2018 (News Wires) - OnePlus, the smartphone company with a fanbase as loyal as that of Apple is developing its first TV equipped with both an AI assistant and complete smartphone connectivity.

One Plus, the Chinese smartphone manufacturer which built its name by producing a mobile phone nearly as powerful as the iPhone at nearly half the cost, is expanding their portfolio.

The company is stepping beyond the smartphone realm for the first time as it begins development on its first ever television: the OnePlus TV.

This Chinese manufacturer told Business Insider recently that not only will this TV be seamlessly connected to a user’s smartphone, but that it will have its own AI assistant, one with more visual capabilities than Alexa or Siri.

The company’s CEO, Pete Lau, expressed to Business Insider that he finds the current TV market still quite traditional and slow to evolve-especially considering the reality of the Internet of Things today.

He wants to utilise all the technologies of today’s advancements including AI assistants and smart speakers. Since the development of the TV was just revealed and not expected to be available until 2019, the final specs do not yet exist, but Lau hopes the television will be able to beam photos and videos from your phone or mobile device without a third-party device.

Additionally, the TV will have a camera, and the AI assistant will work not only to connect the phone to the television, but also to connect these with the house, while taking into account user privacy.

Because the smartphones produced by the company were relatively affordable compared to its Apple counterparts, it is hoped, and expected, that the price tag revealed in 2019 won’t break the bank either.

LONDON, Sept 18, 2018 (News Wires) - Copper prices rallied on Tuesday as investors shrugged off new US tariffs on Chinese imports to send stock markets higher and the dollar lower.

Fears that a US-China trade war would dampen demand for commodities have pushed industrial metals sharply lower in recent months, with copper down 18 per cent from a June high.

But with investors already braced for tariffs, copper was supported by the unexpected resilience of global share prices and non-US currencies and expectations that stimulus in China, the largest metals consumer, will underpin demand.

"It (the tariff decision) was baked in," said BMO Capital Markets analyst Kash Kamal.

"The negative effects of any tariffs and any falling demand in China (as a result) are being effectively countered by increased infrastructure spending," he said.

Benchmark copper on the London Metal Exchange traded up 1.4 per cent at $6,028 a tonne in official rings but was still close to a 14-month low of $5,733 touched last month.

Copper was struggling to rise above its recent downtrend line which comes in at around $6,040.

US President Donald Trump said he was imposing 10 per cent tariffs on about $200 billion worth of imports from China, and threatened duties on about $267 billion more if China retaliated.

Page 1 of 42