JAYAPURA, Indonesia, August 12, 2018 (News Wires) — A 12-year-old boy is the only survivor from the crash of a light commercial plane in a mountainous region of Indonesia’s easternmost province of Papua that left eight other passengers dead, rescuers said Sunday.
The Swiss-made Pilatus PC-6 Porter single-engine plane operated by Dimonin Air was reported missing Saturday during a 45-minute flight from Tanah Merah in Boven Digul district to Oksibil, the district capital of Pegunungan Bintang, bordering Papua New Guinea. The local army chief said Sunday the plane crashed near Oksibil airport.
Col. Jonathan Binsar Sianipar said the boy, identified only as Jumaidi, was the only passenger found alive and was evacuated to the Oksibil hospital. A statement from the army said the boy was conscious but gave no other details.
The plane with two pilots and seven passengers lost contact after communicating with the control tower in Oksibil just before it was due to land Saturday afternoon, said local police chief Lt. Col. Michael Mumbunan.
The cause of the crash was not clear.
Airplanes are the only practical way of accessing many areas in the mountainous and jungle-clad easternmost provinces of Papua and West Papua.
Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago nation, with more than 260 million people, has been plagued by transportation accidents on land, sea and air because of overcrowding on ferries, aging infrastructure and poorly enforced safety standards.
KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Investigators released a report on missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on Monday, saying the Boeing 777’s controls were likely deliberately manipulated to take it off course but they were not able to determine who was responsible.
They had no conclusion about what happened aboard the plane that vanished with 239 people on board en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014, leaving one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries unsolved.
“The answer can only be conclusive if the wreckage is found,” Kok Soo Chon, head of the MH370 safety investigation team, told reporters.
On May 29, Malaysia called off a three-month search by US firm Ocean Infinity, which spanned 112,000 sq km (43,243 sq miles) in the southern Indian Ocean and ended with no significant findings.
It was the second major search after Australia, China and Malaysia ended a fruitless $200 million ($147.06 million) search across an area of 120,000 sq km (46,332 sq miles) last year.
Malaysian and international investigators have been looking into why the Boeing 777 jet veered thousands of miles off course from its scheduled route before eventually plunging into the Indian Ocean.
Experts believe someone may have deliberately switched off MH370’s transponder before diverting it over the Indian Ocean.
The last communication from the plane was from the Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah who signed off with “Good night, Malaysian three seven zero”, as the plane left the Malaysian airspace.
A 440-page final report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) last year showed that Zaharie had flown a route on his home flight simulator six weeks earlier that was “initially similar” to the one actually taken by MH370.
A forensic report by the Malaysian police previously concluded that there were no unusual activities other than game-related flight simulations.
Kok said the investigators examined the history of the pilot and the first officer, and they were satisfied with their background and training and mental health.
“We are not of the opinion it could have been an event committed by the pilots,” he said, but added they were not ruling out any possibility since the in-air turn back was done manually and the systems in the plane were also manually turned off.
“We cannot exclude that there was an unlawful interference by a third party,” Kok said.
He added all the passengers of the 15 countries had their backgrounds checked by their respective countries and all came back with a clean bill of health.
The next-of-kin of the passengers were briefed on the final report by investigators earlier on Monday.
Voice 370, a group representing the relatives, has previously urged the Malaysian government for a review of the flight, including “any possible falsification or elimination of records related to MH370 and its maintenance”.
“We hope that these mistakes will not be repeated and that measures are put in place to prevent them in the future,” said Grace Nathan, a lawyer whose mother, Anne Daisy, was on the plane.
“The one point they stressed was that this report was not to assign blame, it was only a safety investigation,” she said.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Beijing had paid close attention to the MH370 investigation.
“We hope that all sides can continue to remain in close contact and coordination, to properly carry out relevant follow-up work,” he told a daily news briefing, without elaborating.
The only confirmed traces of the aircraft have been three wing fragments washed up along the Indian Ocean coasts.
Malaysia’s newly elected Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad has said Malaysia would consider resuming the search for MH370 only if new clues come to light.
PRETORIA, July 10, 2018 (News Wires) - At least 19 people were injured when a plane crashed on Tuesday in a grassy area of the South African capital Pretoria, emergency services said, giving a preliminary toll.
Images from the site showed the plane broken into several pieces as paramedics helped survivors out of the aircraft and treated patients at the scene as firefighters tackled smoking wreckage.
"Medics from ER24 and other services are at the scene of a plane crash at Wonderboom in Pretoria," Russell Meiring, spokesman for the ER24 medical service said.
"We have 19 injured casualties ranging from minor to critical injuries at this stage and no confirmed fatalities."
The plane was marked Martin's Air Charter, but no information was immediately available about the air company.
"I can only confirm that yes we do have a plane that crashed... on the Moloto Road," local government emergency services spokesman Johan Pieterse told AFP.
HAVANA, May 25, 2018 (News Wires) - One of the survivors of the plane crash just outside Havana airport last week died early on Friday, state-run media cited the Cuban government as saying, raising the death toll from one of Cuba's worst air disasters to 112.
Emiley Sanchez, a 40-year old Cuban from the eastern city of Holguin where the Boeing 737 had been heading, died in a hospital in the capital due to “severe traumatic lesions and burns” suffered in the accident.
“Her state was extremely critical with a unfavorable prognostic and on a progressive downwards path that we could not reverse,” the Health Ministry said in a statement read on state-run radio station Radio Reloj.
Three Cuban women had originally survived when the Boeing 737 crashed shortly after takeoff and burst into flames. Two of them have now died, leaving one survivor fighting for her life.
The plane had been leased by the little-known Mexican company, Damojh, to Cuba's flagship carrier Cubana, and all but 11 of 113 passengers on board were Cuban.
The foreigners were seven Mexicans including the crew, two Argentine tourists, and two Sahrawis from a disputed area in the Western Sahara who were resident in Cuba.
Cuba is leading the probe into the crash, together with Mexican and US investigators, and has retrieved the black box with flight data and voice recordings from the cockpit.