ISTANBUL, September 19, 2018 (News Wires) - A Turkish court has jailed pending trial 24 people involved in protests over work conditions at Istanbul’s new airport last week, broadcaster CNN Turk said on Wednesday.
The airport which is a centrepiece of a 15-year construction boom has an initial planned capacity of 90 million passengers a year, making it one of the world’s biggest airports.
Istanbul’s governor said on Sunday more than 400 people were initially detained for taking part in the protests. Work resumed at the airport on Monday with a heavy police and gendarmerie presence, according to labour unions.
A total of 43 people among those detained were sent to an Istanbul court to rule on what action would be taken and it released 19 of them subject to judicial monitoring, CNN Turk said.
The 24 formally arrested and remanded in custody faced provisional charges such resisting police, damaging public property and contravening the law governing protests, it said.
Workers have long complained about food, housing and work safety conditions at the construction site, which unions have likened to a concentration camp.
In February, Turkey’s labour ministry said 27 workers had died at the airport since the start of work in 2015, mainly from accidents or health problems. Protests started on Friday after a shuttle bus accident injured 17 workers.
Airport operator IGA said on Sunday work at the airport was on schedule and the planned Oct. 29 opening would not be delayed. Steps had been taken to improve working conditions and living quarters, which workers say were infested with bedbugs, it said.
RAMALLAH, July 10, 2018 (MENA) - The Israeli District Court in Jerusalem sentenced a Palestinian mother of five from East Jerusalem to 10 years in prison and fined her around $ 9,000 after she was found guilty of a stabbing attempt in the city, according to the Committee of Families of Prisoners from Jerusalem.
Fadwa Nazih Hamadeh, 31, from Sur Baher neighbourhood of occupied East Jerusalem, was arrested on August 12 last year outside Jerusalem's Old City Damascus Gate on allegation she attempted to stab Israelis.
Hamadeh is married and has five children, the oldest is eight years and the youngest 18 months.
MUMBAI, April 10, 2018 (AFP) — Convicted Bollywood star Salman Khan tweeted “tears of gratitude” to all his fans on Monday in his first remarks since being bailed over a five-year jail sentence for killing rare antelopes.
Salman, one of the world’s highest-paid actors, was convicted in the 20-year-old case on Thursday and spent two nights in Jodhpur Central Jail before being released on bail by a judge Saturday.
“Tears of gratitude. To all my loved ones who are with me and never lost hope.
“Thank you for being there with all the love and support. God Bless,” the actor wrote to his 32.7 million Twitter followers.
Salman had denied shooting dead two rare antelopes known as black bucks on a hunting trip while filming a movie in October 1998.
But the court found him guilty while acquitting four other actors.
Salman has accused Rajasthan’s forest department of trying to frame him.
His lawyers claim the black bucks died of natural causes such as overeating, insisting there was no evidence they were shot.
Throughout the multiple cases, eyewitnesses have stated they saw Salman firing a gun.
The 52-year-old enjoys a cult-like status in star-obsessed India and is one of Bollywood’s biggest draws, despite a host of controversies.
Salman was in a vehicle in Mumbai, the home of Bollywood cinema, in 2002 when it mounted the curb and killed a homeless man sleeping on the pavement.
He was found guilty of culpable homicide and sentenced to five years in prison, but the verdict was overturned in a higher court in 2015. His acquittal is being challenged in the Supreme Court.
SEOUL, April 6, 2018 (Reuters) - A South Korean court jailed former President Park Geun-hye for 24 years on Friday over a scandal that exposed webs of corruption between political leaders and the country’s conglomerates.
Park became South Korea’s first democratically elected leader to be forced from office last year when the Constitutional Court ordered her out over a scandal that landed the heads of two conglomerates in jail.
The court also fined Park, the daughter of a former military dictator, 18 billion won ($16.9 million) after finding her guilty of charges including bribery, abuse of power and coercion.
“The defendant abused her presidential power entrusted by the people, and as a result, brought massive chaos to the order of state affairs and led to the impeachment of the president, which was unprecedented,” judge Kim Se-yoon said as he handed down the sentence.
Up to 1,000 Park supporters gathered outside the court, holding national flags and signs calling for an end to “political revenge” against her.
The court found Park guilty of colluding with her old friend, Choi Soon-sil, to receive about 7 billion won ($6.56 million) each from Lotte Group, a retail giant, and Samsung, the world’s biggest maker of smartphones and semiconductors, while demanding 8.9 billion won from SK, an energy conglomerate.