Log in

Register




CAIRO, July 15, 2018 (MENA) - Egyptian Prime Minister Moustafa Madbouli praised the ties binding Egypt and Bahrain, asserting the importance of boosting economic cooperation between both countries.

This came during Madbouli's meeting with Bahrain's Ambassador to Egypt Sheikh Rashid bin Abdulrahman al Khalifa.

The Bahraini ambassador praised the achievements of the Egyptian government that contributed to improving the country's economic indicators.

He invited Madbouli to visit Bahrain and congratulated him on assuming his new post as premier.

He said Bahrain is looking forward to more economic cooperation with Egypt and increasing the volume of investments and trade exchange for the interest of both countries. 

WASHINGTON, July 10, 2018 (News Wires) - The US State Department said on Tuesday it had designated al-Ashtar Brigades, which it described as an Iran-backed terrorist group in Bahrain, as a foreign terrorist organization.

It said in a statement that the group was established in 2013 with the aim of toppling the Bahraini government, and had killed police officers in bomb and gun attacks. Members of the group have received weapons and explosives from Iran, it added.

The designation denies the group access to the US financial system, the statement said.

CAIRO, June 24, 2018 (MENA) - Bahrain backs efforts meant to develop inter-Arab tourism in order to stimulate the Arab countries' economy and achieve the desired sustainable development goals, Bahraini Minister of Industry, Commerce and Tourism Zayed bin Rashid Al Zayani said on Sunday.

Zayani, who is chairman of the 22nd session of the executive office of the Arab Tourism Ministers Council, that kicked off today at the Arab League premises, was delivering his inaugural speech at the event attended by delegations from Egypt, Jordan, Tunisia, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Libya and Morocco.

The Bahraini minister said that the global tourism market saw a notable rise over the past two decades and last year recorded its highest rate in seven years to stand at 7%, with the number of tourists reaching 3.6 million daily.

The Arab region saw growth in the percentage of incoming tourism in the first half of the current year compared with the past year, he said, pointing out to World Tourism Organization expectations of a continuing steady growth, ranging between 4% and 5 %, in the region in 2018.

He also asserted the importance of increased efforts to develop the Arab tourism industry, urging Arab governments to prioritize tourism development policies.

MANAMA, June 18, 2018 (MENA) - Bahrain’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has condemned the “terrorist attack that targeted a gathering in Rodat District, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, which resulted in the death and injury of a number of security forces and civilians,” the Bahrain News Agency (BNA) reported late Sunday.

“The Ministry expresses sincere condolences to the families of the victims, and wishes the injured speedy recovery,” a statement by the Foreign Ministry said.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs affirms that the Kingdom of Bahrain stands by the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in its fight against terrorism. It reaffirms the position of the Kingdom of Bahrain, which rejects violence and terrorism in all its forms, regardless of its motives and justifications, and stresses the importance of strengthening international efforts aimed at eliminating terrorism that threatens international peace and security,” the statement added.

MANAMA, May 28, 2018 (MENA) - Egypt's basketball team won Bahrain International Friendly Basketball Tournament 2018 that was held in Manama from May 24 to 27.

Four countries; Egypt, Bahrain, Lebanon and Iraq, participated in the tournament.

Egypt scored victory in three consecutive matches after beating Iraq 56-49, Lebanon 71-60 and Bahrain 80-54 respectively.

By the Gazette Editorial Board

The Kingdom of Bahrain categorically denied allegations made by Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu that like Doha, Manama had suffered from the boycott imposed by the Arab Quartet on Qatar.

The Turkish foreign minister claimed that it was his Bahraini counterpart, Khaled Bin Ahmed Al-Khalifa, who had disclosed the sufferings of Bahrain.

In a sharply-worded statement, Bahrain’s Foreign Ministry firmly dismissed Cavusoglu’s claims as ‘utterly false and baseless’. “Such outrageous allegations come as a result of the absence of credibility; and the flagrant violation of a professional code,” the statement by the Foreign Ministry of Bahrain said.

The Bahraini ministry asserted that the Arab Quartet (Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the UAE) found it unavoidable and urgent to impose a boycott on Qatar after it attempted to shake their sovereignty and violate their rights.

“In the meantime, the imposition of the boycott came after the four countries had exhausted futilely all other persuasive contacts to stop Doha from meddling belligerently in their internal affairs,” the Bahraini Foreign Ministry said.

The statement also disclosed that the proposal to boycott Doha had become unavoidable after Qatar had deliberately ignored its commitments in agreements it had previously signed. Those commitments included chiefly that Doha should abandon its huge financing of terrorists, irrespective of their political or ideological hues.

The statement further made it clear that the boycott was calculated so carefully that the Qatari people remained safe throughout the boycott.

Doha was given a list of 13 demands to fulfil, otherwise its Gulf neighbours (Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain) plus Egypt would get tough with it.

Qatar’s Emir Tamim Bin Hamad had previously promised his Gulf neighbours that he was ready to co-operate sincerely with them to help them overcome their concerns and dispel their worries.

Ankara’s pretence defence and sympathy for Doha should not stir up any measure of surprise or argument.

Like Doha, Ankara is accused of sponsoring IS terrorists by opening training camps on its territory for them and providing them with a safe corridor through which to infiltrate Syria.

The two countries have complementary roles: Doha pays money; and Ankara offers logistical and military help to terrorists prowling the region to instigate instability and catastrophic chaos, irrespective of the tragic fact that the casualties are millions of innocent people, including women and children.

Ankara must have realised that Qatar’s situation under the boycott is getting worse. Doha is now knocking at every door seeking help. It is all the more outrageous that while it is writhing in pain under the boycott, Qatar remains stubborn, refusing to show goodwill and stop providing a safe haven to preachers of ideological violence and their fighters and other elements.

The Arab Quartet has repeatedly said that without sincerely complying with its obligations to the Arab Quartet, Qatar should not count on regional or external mediators to help lift the boycott.

 

Page 1 of 3