MOSCOW, August 20, 2018 (News Wires) - Russia has accused the West of trying to obstruct return of Syrian refugees to their country and blocking the UN assistance for reconstruction efforts.
Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said after talks on Monday with his Lebanese counterpart, Gibran Bassil, that the US refusal to provide assistance for rebuilding Syria after more than seven years of fighting hampers refugee return.
He also accused the West of pressuring the United Nations to ban UN organizations from helping reconstruction efforts in Syria pending political settlement, saying it violates UN principles.
Bassil said that Lebanon fully supports Russian efforts to help Syrian refugees return.
Lavrov also charged that al-Qaida militants located near al-Tanf in southeastern Syria where US military advisers are based have launched raids intended to prevent refugees from coming back from Jordan.
BEIJING, August 20, 2018 (MENA) - Chinese Special Envoy for Syria Xie Xiaoyan said on Monday that media reports about the alleged Chinese military involvement in the Syrian conflict are speculations that provide false interpretation of the Chinese political course.
Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Xia said "Recently, some media speculations that China is going to involve in the Syrian conflict emerged. That is a false picture of the Chinese policy. The Arab media, which issued the relevant material, later explained
that China had no military presence in Syria. China is strongly advocating settlement of the conflict only by peaceful means … China has never sent its troops to Syria."
Xie stressed that China was strongly opposing any form of terrorism and calling for the boost of the international anti-terror cooperation.
In early August, Syrian media reported that the Chinese servicemen were ready to fight terrorists in the province of Idlib and other parts of the country together with the Syrian troops.
However, reconstruction of Syria is impossible without ensuring security in the war-torn Arab republic, Chinese Special Envoy for Syria said.
"We hope that the international community will put much attention to the post-war reconstruction of Syria and take part in this process as it is not an issue of one or two states. Moreover, it is necessary to ensure basic security to start the reconstruction works," Xie told reporters.
He said that the key goal at the moment was to restore peace and stability in the country. "All the parties must take efforts in order to launch the relevant work," Xie added.
BAGHDAD, August 18, 2018 (MENA) - As many as 347 displaced Iraqis have returned to Mosul city, coming from Syria, the Iraqi Ministry of Migration and Displacement said on Saturday.
In a statement broadcast by Alsumaria news channel, the ministry said that its buses managed to bring 74 Iraqi families back from Al Hawl refugee camp in Syria to a camp in Mosul.
Further batches of Iraqi refugees will be back from Al Hawl camp in accordance with a plan that has been outlined by the ministry in coordination with the Syrian side, said the statement.
The ministry announced earlier that 446 Iraqis had returned home from Syria.
DAMASCUS, August 18, 2018 (MENA) - Fifteen elements of Daesh terrorist group surrendered to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) after fleeing the last Daesh remaining pocket in Deir ezzor, Syrian sources said on Saturday.
Fierce clashes erupted between the international coalition-backed SDF and Daesh terrorists in the vicinity of Al Omar gas field, after Daesh elements infiltrated to the area, Al Hurra news channel reported, quoting the sources as saying.
The international coalition against Daesh sent military reinforcements to areas held by the SDF in the southwest of the country, according to the sources.
Separately, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said that 18 Daesh militants were killed in an airstrike, whose source is unknown, that was launched against the terrorist group's posts in Deir ezzor, Sky News channel reported.
LONDON, August 18, 2018 (MENA) – Seven elements of Daesh terrorist group have been killed in an attack they launched against French and US soldiers stationed at an oil site in east of Deir Ezzor countryside, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said on Saturday.
The attack was repelled by the Syrian Democratic Forces, Al-Hurra channel reported, citing a statement by the London-based observatory.
A state of alert has been declared among the US-led coalition troops and the Syrian Democratic Forces at the site in the wake of the failed attack, it added.
IRBIL, Iraq, August 17, 2018 (News Wires) - Iraqi security officials said on Friday that the Iraq's air force carried out two airstrikes targeting Islamic State group inside Syria, killing at least 28 IS militants.
They say one of the two airstrikes by F-16s targeted a meeting of would-be suicide bombers who intended to strike in Iraq during next week's Muslim Eid al-Adha holiday.
About 20 militants were killed in that airstrike, while eight died in the second one. Both targets were inside Syria near the Iraqi border.
Iraq announced the strikes on Thursday but details on targets and casualties only emerged on Friday. The statement said the targets were identified by the Eagles Cell, Iraq's top counterterrorism agency.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.