Log in

Register




CAIRO, June 4, 2018 (MENA) - Trade and Industry Minister Tarek Kabil said on Monday three new factories for the production of household appliances will be inaugurated in 6th of October City within a few weeks with Egyptian-Saudi investments of up to $100 million. 

In a statement by the Ministry of Trade and Industry, Kabil noted the three factories are belonging to Unionaire Group and will produce washing machines, fridges and TV screens. 

This comes as a part of the ministry's efforts to promote the national industry by increasing the percentage of local components in locally-manufactured products, the statement said. 

"The local component in the TV factory will reach 71 per cent," underlined the minister. 

Chairman of Unionaire Group Mohamed Fatehy said the three factories would create 1,500 jobs and the industrial complex will create around 3,000 more. 

RIYADH, May 15, 2018 (News Wires) - A car show in the Saudi capital is drawing in many women, who from next month will be allowed to drive in the kingdom as part of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s modernization plans.

The event also attracted banks ready to offer financing for women buyers.

“Anything related to cars these days is attracting Saudi Arabian women. I want to know more about cars and prices,” said Shaimaa al-Fadl as she climbed into a car at the exhibition and adjusted the rear-view mirror.

The royal decree will end a conservative tradition seen by activists as an emblem of the Muslim kingdom’s repression of women.  

RIYADH (News Wire) May 6, 2018 - Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has ordered protection for employees who report financial and administrative corruption, Al Arabiya TV reported on Sunday, as part of an effort to combat graft that saw dozens of royals and top businessmen detained last year.

The head of the National Anti-Corruption Commission Dr. Khalid Al Muhaisen pointed out that this matter “emphasizes the interest and concern of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques and His Crown Prince to combat corruption, and protect the interests of citizens and residents who do their duty to report cases of corruption, and ensure that they are not harmed by the submission of communications,” Al Arabiya reported.

Most of the people detained in the anti-corruption drive, including global investor Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, were released from Riyadh’s Ritz-Carlton hotel after being exonerated or reaching financial settlements with the government. The government said such deals brought in more than $100 billion.

Muhaisen affirmed that Saudi leadership is determined and resolute in combating corruption in all its forms and non-tolerance of the corrupt and providing the necessary protecting the whistleblowers from corruption practices and preserve their rights in line with the vision of the kingdom’s Saudi Vision 2030 plan, which has made transparency, integrity and the fight against corruption its top priorities.

RIYADH, April, 23, 2018 -  Saudi air defenses intercepted two ballistic missiles Monday fired by Houthi militias targeting Jazan, Al Arabyia Channel reported.

The kingdom’s air defenses intercepted another missile targeting the Najran region while another missile fell in a desert area on Sunday.

The militia has fired more than 100 ballistic in total targeting Saudi Arabian land according to an Arab Coalition statement released on April 16. Saudi air defenses were able to intercept most of them.

RIYADH, April 22, 2018 (wire news) --  Saudi Arabian security forces said they had shot down a recreational drone in the capital on

Saturday after online videos showing gunfire in a neighbourhood where royal palaces are located.

The Riyadh police spokesman, quoted by the official Saudi News Agency (SPA), said a security screening point noticed the flying

of a small unauthorized recreational drone at 7:50 pm local time, leading security forces to deal with it according to their orders and

instructions.

There were no casualties, and King Salman was not at his palace at the time, a senior Saudi official told Reuters.

“The king was at his farm in Diriya,” the official said, naming another area of the capital.

Amateur footage circulating earlier on social media showed loud gunfire that lasted for at least 30 seconds.

One video showed two police cars parked in the middle of a dark street. Reuters was unable to independently verify the videos’

authenticity.

Asked about the footage, the official said the drone had been shot down, and added that the government would introduce

regulations for the use of recreational drones.

The competent authorities have initiated investigations into the circumstances of the incident, according to SPA.

RIYADH, April, 19, 2018 - Saudi Arabia launched its first commercial movie theater, ending a nearly 40-year ban on cinemas under a push by the crown prince to modernize the deeply conservative Muslim kingdom.

A red carpet invitation-only gala event attracted senior government officials, foreign dignitaries and select industry figures to watch Marvel’s superhero movie “Black Panther” on a 45-foot screen at a converted symphony concert hall in Riyadh.

 “Saudis now are going to be able to go to a beautiful theater and watch movies the way they’re supposed to be watched: on a big screen,” Adam Aron, chief executive of operator AMC Entertainment Holdings, told Reuters ahead of the screening.

The smell of buttery popcorn filled the air as confetti rained down through the multi-story atrium where Aron and Saudi Minister of Culture and Information Awwad al-Awwad announced the launch and proceeded into the 450-seat hall.

The opening marks another milestone for reforms spearheaded by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to open the country culturally and diversify the economy of the world’s top oil exporter.

Page 1 of 3