Log in

Register




CAIRO, August 10, 2018 (MENA) – Egyptian Minister of Antiquities Khaled el Anani, accompanied by Sohag Governor Ayman Abdel Mon’em, inspected on Friday the Sohag National Museum ahead of its inauguration.

Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Moustafa Waziri, head of the projects sector at the Ministry of Antiquities Waad Abul Ela and director of the Sohag National Museum Ibrahim el Sherif were present during the visit.

In press statements, Head of the museums sector at the Ministry of Antiquities Elham Salah said that the museum, which overlooks the Nile River, is set to display 945 artifacts that had been discovered in archaeological sites inside the governorate.

CAIRO, August 4, 2018 (MENA) - Egyptian Minister of Antiquities Khaled el Anani, accompanied by Governor of Sohag Ayman Abdel Moneim, inspected Saturday a number of archaeological sites in the Upper Egyptian governorate.

Anani visited the under-construction Sohag National Museum and the Coptic White Monastery, according to a statement issued by the ministry.

During his inspection of the White Monastery, the minister listened to a detailed explanation about the history of the monastery.

The minister also reviewed the location of the head of King Ramesses II statue, which would be put on display at the museum.

Upon concluding his tour, the minister will head for Luxor governorate to inspect the renovation of the Avenue of the Sphinxes and restoration of Karnak Temple complex.

 

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt, July 19 , 2018  (MENA) - Operations for removing the lid of the large black granite sarcophagus that has been discovered at a the 2000-year-old Ptolemaic tomb in Alexandria kicked off early Thursday.

The archaeological tomb and the sarcophagus 
were found during an archaeological survey conducted in a privately owned plot of land in Sidi Gaber district in Alexandria.

The operation was launched in the presence of Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Mostafa Waziri, amid security procedures.

ALEXANDRIA, Egypt 19 , 2018 (MENA) - Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Mostafa Waziri inspected on Thursday the 2000-year-old Ptolemaic tomb and the large black granite sarcophagus that have been discovered during an archaeological survey conducted in a privately owned plot of land in Sidi Gaber district in Alexandria.

In statements to MENA, archaeologists highlighted the great value of such significant archeological find, saying that this discovery has revived the dream of finding the tomb of Alexander the Great.

They affirmed that all archaeological and historical evidence indicates that the tomb and the sarcophagus are not for Alexander the Great. 

Mohamed Abd el Maguid, the former general director of the Central Department of Underwater Antiquities in Alexandria, said that historians have different opinions on the location where Alexander the Great was buried, but most of them believe that he had been buried in Soma neighborhood in Alexandria. The ancient Greek king who is widely considered one of history's most successful military commanders succeeded his father Philip II to the throne at the age of twenty and died at the age of 32 in 323 BC. He was a member of the Argead dynasty and he spent most of his ruling years on an unprecedented military campaign through Asia and northeast Africa creating one of the largest empires of the ancient world by the age of thirty, stretching from Greece to northwestern India. 

CAIRO, July 17, 2018 (MENA) – Egyptian Minister of Antiquities Khaled el Anani discussed on Tuesday with Italian Ambassador to Egypt Giampaolo Cantini means of boosting bilateral cooperation in the archaeological field.

The two sides also discussed preparations for the Italian foreign minister’s upcoming visit to some archaeological sites in Egypt.

On that score, Anani said the visit will be a key step towards scientific and archaeological exchange between Cairo and Rome.

Planning is underway to organize a temporary archaeological exhibition at Tahrir Square’s Egyptian Museum on the sidelines of the Italian minister’s visit, he added.

The exhibition is set to display the most important archaeological items unearthed by Italian missions working in Egypt, the minister noted.

CAIRO, July 15, 2018 (MENA) - Egyptian Antiquities Minister Khaled el Annani said on Sunday that his ministry is working on adding the Holy Family's journey in Egypt to the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage List.

The minister made the remarks during his participation in a meeting of the parliament's tourism and civil aviation committee, under MP Sahar Talaat Mostafa.

A committee was formed to add 25 archaeological sites and churches that are part of the Holy Family's Journey to the UNESCO list, he noted.

A catalogue has been prepared on the journey of the Holy Family in Egypt as part of the country's efforts to revive tourism, Annani added.

For her part, Tourism Minister Rania el Mashat stressed her ministry's keenness on cooperating with the Antiquities and Local Development ministries to promote for the journey of the Holy Family abroad.

Page 1 of 5