Log in

Register




CAIRO, July 7, 2018 (MENA) - Egyptian Antiquities Minister Khaled Anany presented Prince Albert II of Monaco a copy of Ka statue belonging to King Tutankhamun.

The minister invited the prince to visit Egypt and its monuments especially the Eastern Port in Alexandria to watch the sunken antiquities besides the Grand Egyptian Museum (GEM) after being inaugurated.

This came during inauguration of "The Golden Treasures of the Pharaohs" exhibition by Prince Albert II and Anany on Friday evening, said a statement issued by the Antiquities Ministry on Saturday.

The inauguration ceremony was attended by a galaxy of reporters in addition to a number of public figures of Monaco, Italy, France, Belgium and England, the statement read.

The prince presented the minister a number of stamps issued by Monaco to celebrate the Egyptian civilization.

Prince Albert II expressed admiration for the exhibition, the statement added.

MONACO, July 7, 2018 (MENA) - Prince Albert II of Monaco and Egyptian Minister of Antiquities Khaled el Anani inaugurated the Egyptian artifacts exhibition, themed The Golden Treasures of the Pharaohs – 2,500 Years of the Goldsmith’s Art in Ancient Egypt”, to run from July 7 to September 9.

During the opening Friday, the prince hailed the exhibition and Egypt’s Pharaonic civilization as one of the most important civilizationsin the ancient world.

He also welcomed the Egyptian delegation and called for boosting bilateral relations in the cultural and antiquities fields.

The inauguration ceremony was also attended by Tourism Minister Rania el Mashat. A host of diplomats and archaeologists also attended the event.

The two-month exhibition includes 150 artifacts from the Egyptian Museum. This is the second temporary exhibition hosted by Monaco after the 2009 exhibition which displayed 26 artifacts.

 

 

MONTE CARLO, Monaco, May 28, 2018 (News Wires) - Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo steadied his nerve when victory threatened to escape him again as he overcame a significant midrace power loss to win the Monaco Grand Prix from pole position.

After guzzling champagne from his sweaty shoe — as he likes to do — it was time to cool off. The popular Australian swan-dived into the swimming pool located on the roof of Red Bull's motorhome in Monaco's glitzy harbor.

Better known for his attacking prowess and razor-sharp overtaking, Ricciardo had earlier shown outstanding defensive driving to fend off Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari despite losing an estimated 25 percent of his engine power.

Vettel closed to within one second of Ricciardo with more than half of the 78-lap race left. It seemed certain the German would pass him at some point, but Ricciardo held firm for the seventh win of his career.

Even though the 3.34-kilometer (2.1-mile) street circuit is narrow and notoriously difficult to overtake on, it was still a remarkable drive by Ricciardo, given his damaging power deficit.

"So much went on for me in that race, trying to figure out what was going on," said Ricciardo, who was fastest in all three practice sessions as well as qualifying. "This was probably the best weekend of my career."

Vettel shaved a few points off championship leader Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes, who finished third.

"I think we had the pace," Vettel said after missing out on a 50th career win. "But Daniel had the answers all the time."

Hamilton made an audacious move by pitting for new tires several laps before his rivals, but was worried they would wear out by the end.

"It would have been nice to have come second but I did all I could," Hamilton said.

In the end, Ricciardo's winning margin was seven seconds — but only because Vettel lost time after the virtual safety car came out for the last few laps. The incident happened when Charles Leclerc shunted his Sauber into the back of Brendon Hartley's Toro Rosso. Drivers are not allowed to overtake when the VSC is deployed and must maintain a steady speed. It happened too late to influence the race.

Kimi Raikkonen was fourth for Ferrari, ahead of Mercedes' Valtteri Bottas and Force India's Esteban Ocon.

Max Verstappen — Ricciardo's Red Bull teammate — finished ninth after starting from last having crashed prior to Saturday's qualifying.

A strong drive from Verstappen, gaining 11 positions, but the day belonged to Ricciardo.

It was his second win of the season after the Chinese GP last month, pushing him up to third in the title race. It also felt like payback time.

Ricciardo thought he'd won in Monaco two years ago, leading from pole only to be undone by a botched pit stop which left him furious with his own team.

He drove like a man on a mission.

"Two years in the making and I finally feel redemption has arrived," Ricciardo said. "I thought the race was over."

He soon displayed his typical showmanship, standing perfectly still on his car, nodding slowly and then thumping his chest.

MONACO, May 28, 2018 (News Wires) - Daniel Ricciardo's stock has never been higher after a dominant Monaco Grand Prix weekend that saw him stand on the podium above two world champions whose 2019 team mates have yet to be confirmed.

The Australian is out of contract with Red Bull at the end of the season and champions Mercedes or Ferrari, the top two teams, are obvious possible alternatives.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel was second in Monaco with championship leader Lewis Hamilton third for Mercedes but Ricciardo led every single practice and qualifying session and throughout the race.

Red Bull also want the 28-year-old to stay, but will be expected to pay a lot more than at present given Ricciardo's success.

"You could say the day's maybe made Daniel more expensive, it's put his value up," Red Bull principal Christian Horner told reporters.

"Or you could say it's put the team in a stronger position in terms of its value and potential to him."

Ricciardo has won two races this year, the same number as Vettel and Hamilton, and is third overall -- albeit 38 points behind Britain's Hamilton.

The Australian would be a lot closer had he not retired early on with an electrical problem in Bahrain and been in a collision with team mate Max Verstappen in Azerbaijan.

Verstappen, 20, is on a lucrative long-term contract but has had a season full of mistakes and crashes.

Horner hoped a new deal with Ricciardo could be reached "in the next couple of months" but recognised much would depend on what engine Red Bull had next season.

The former champions use Renault power units but have been linked to Honda, now with Red Bull-owned Toro Rosso.

Honda's engines have improved considerably after three dismal years with McLaren, and France's Pierre Gasly finished seventh for Toro Rosso on Sunday.

Mercedes say they are not looking beyond their immediate "family" at present, with Finland's Valtteri Bottas performing well as Hamilton's team mate, and Ferrari could retain veteran Kimi Raikkonen.

MONACO, May 26, 2018 (News Wires) - Max Verstappen crashed his Red Bull in final practice for the Monaco Grand Prix on Saturday while team mate Daniel Ricciardo smashed the lap record for the third session in a row.

Ricciardo's best lap of a sunny session was one minute 11.786 seconds, compared to his Thursday best of 1:11.841 and Kimi Raikkonen's 2017 pole position time for Ferrari of 1:12.178.

The two Red Bulls were separated by next to nothing, Ricciardo a mere 0.001 quicker than Verstappen and setting the time after the 20-year-old Dutchman had hit the wall.

Verstappen, who had said earlier in the week that he was prepared to take risks in Formula One's showcase race, brought out the red flags after the accident at the exit to the swimming pool section.

The impact, littering debris across the track, left the Red Bull mechanics with plenty of work before qualifying and dented Verstappen's hopes of becoming the youngest polesitter.

The youngster has a chequered record in Monaco, crashing in 2015 and 2016, and has had a series of incidents already this season.

This time he made contact with the barriers at the entrance to the second Swimming Pool chicane, broke the front suspension and went into the wall at the exit. Ricciardo, meanwhile, continued to cement his status as favourite.

Runner-up in 2016 after starting on pole, and third last year, the Australian dominated both practice sessions on Thursday.

Sunday's race will be Red Bull's 250th start in Formula One and all the signs are that they will be able to celebrate it in style.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel was third fastest behind the Red Bulls while championship leader Lewis Hamilton, who leads the German by 17 points after five races, was fourth fastest for Mercedes and Raikkonen fifth.

PARIS, March 3, 2018 (AFP) - Rony Lopes scored his sixth goal in seven games as Monaco came from from behind to beat Bordeaux 2-1 to tighten their grip on second place in Ligue 1.
Runaway leaders Paris Saint Germain have 71 points ahead of their trip to Troyes Saturday, and Monaco now have 60 while third placed Marseille have 55 before hosting Nantes also Saturday.
Bordeaux had won four of their last five games before this challenging away clash and took the lead with a thumping goal from Valentin Vada around the half hour.
The 21-year-old Argentine sneaked into the box to wallop a first time strike into the top corner.
Arsenal target Thomas Lemar spurned a golden opportunity to equalise within a minute as he nudged a ball agonisingly wide with the Bordeaux 'keeper Benoit Costil beaten.
Stevan Jovetic's equaliser in the 45th minute sent the hosts back to the dressing room with a boost.
Running on to a through ball he raced into the box and wrong footed Costil as his shot flew into the bottom corner.
Lopes then sealed the three points in the 69th minute with a tight-angled shot from the edge of the six-yard area.
Lopes had scored five times in Monaco's last six league games, including a brace in last week's 3-3 draw at Toulouse. Leonardo Jardim's Monaco are now unbeaten in 13 league outings.
Now 22, the Portuguese attacking midfielder was at Manchester City before being sold to Monaco in 2015. After spending last season on loan at Lille, he returned as a replacement for Bernardo Silva, and is enjoying a fine campaign.
Elsewhere, Mario Balotelli set Nice on their way to a narrow and hard fought 2-1 home win over relegation threatened Lille.
The 27-year-old Italian directed home an impressive fifth minute header, his 22nd of the season, as rumours of a move in the summer to AS Roma mount.
Wylen Cyprien's winner in the 80th minute capped a flying run with a flying volley to seal all three points as Nice chase a Europa League spot with a run of form after a poor start to the season.