GENEVA, August 17, 2018 (News Wires) - The United Nations has invited the Yemeni government and the Houthi movement that controls most of the north to peace talks in Geneva on Sept. 6, a UN spokeswoman said on Friday.
UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths is trying to negotiate an end to the three- year conflict, which has killed more than 10,000 people and pushed Yemen to the verge of starvation.
"I can confirm the office of Special Envoy has sent invitations to the government of Yemen and to Ansarullah," UN spokeswoman Alessandra Vellucci told a Geneva news briefing.
By the Gazette Editorial Board
President Abdel Fattah El Sisi recently said very firmly that the security and stability of Yemen were of the utmost importance ‘not only to the national security of Egypt but also to that of the whole region’.
The President’s strong emphasis on this came during a joint press conference he had with Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who paid a two-day visit to Cairo earlier this week.
It was the third time for Hadi to visit Egypt since he came to power in March 2015. On that occasion, he visited Sharm El-Sheikh to take part in an Arab Summit and attend the Suez Canal inauguration in August 2015.
President Sisi said that Egypt would not tolerate by any means any attempt to reduce Yemen to a centre of influence for non-Arab forces [Iran-linked Houthis]. “[Egypt] categorically rejects Yemen as a centre of influence or a threat to the security and stability of the brotherly Arab states,” President Sisi said.
He emphasised that Egypt was always genuinely committed to supporting the stability of Yemen and its territorial integrity. “Egypt always highlights its commitments to supporting the legitimate Yemeni government to overcome the current challenges and attempts to violate the future of the brotherly Yemeni people,” El Sisi said.
On this occasion, President Sisi underlined Egypt's readiness to increase the volume of training and support provided to build the potentials of Yemeni cadres in various fields. Egypt would increase the number of scholarships and training programmes, as well as therapeutic grants to receive and treat injured Yemenis.
President Sisi’s statement during the press conference was a clear-cut message that Arab national security was an essential and inseparable part of Egypt’s national security. His re-emphasis in this regard came when he warned that Egypt would not allow any foreign powers to threaten or destabilise the freedom of navigation in the Red Sea and the Strait of Bab al-Mandab, which was one of the world’s most important tanker routes.
Saudi Arabia last month had to suspend oil shipments through the Red Sea’s Bab al- Mandeb strait after Iran-aligned Houthis attacked two ships in the waterway.
Egypt's commitment to Yemen and different Arab countries far and wide in the Middle East stems from the fundamentals of its foreign policy and decades of struggle and co- operation.
SANAA, August 15, 2018 (MENA) - Sixteen Houthis were killed on Wednesday during air raids launched by the Arab coalition on the Western Coast in Yemen.
The raids targeted Tahita and Durayhimi districts, according to local Yemeni sources.
The airstrikes were aimed at military vehicles of the Iranian-backed Houthi militants, they said.
CAIRO, Aug 13 , 2018(MENA) - President Abdel Fattah El Sisi held Monday afternoon official talks with visiting Yemeni President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi at Al Ittihadiya Presidential Palace.
A press conference will be held after the talks which are expected to take up bilateral ties and latest Yemeni developments.
CAIRO, August 13, 20l8 (MENA) - President Abdel Fattah El Sisi will receive his Yemeni counterpart Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi later Monday, Presidential Spokesman Bassam Radi said.
This is the third visit paid by the Yemeni President to Egypt since he assumed office in 20l2. His first visit was in March 2015 when he took part in the Arab summit that was held in the coastal city of Sharm El Shiekh.
The two presidents will discuss latest developments in Yemen. In statements before the Yemeni president's visit ,Yemen's Foreign Minister Khaled el Yamani praised Egypt's stand in supporting the Yemeni people. He said that Egypt is concerned over the attacks launched by the Houthis on Saudi lands.
ADEN, August 11, 2018 (MENA) - The Arab coalition warplanes destroyed weapons and vehicles belonging to the Iran-backed Houthi militias in Sanaa.
The Arab coalition fighter jets launched three air raids against posts and gatherings of the Houthi militants in the vicinity of Sanaa International Airport and targeted as well two of the militias' camps in Arhab District, local sources were quoted by Al Arabiya news channel on Saturday.
The airstrikes left several Houthis dead and injured, inflicting heavy losses on the militants, according to the sources.
In addition, 54 Houthi elements were killed and several others injured in fresh airstrikes conducted by the Arab coalition against military sites belonging to the militants in the south and west of Taheeta, in Yemeni west coast.