Log in

Register




LONDON, August 20, 2018 (News Wires) - Mo Farah will aim to become the first runner to win five Great North Runs when he races next month.

The four-time Olympic champion will continue his road racing career on September 9 in Newcastle, he has confirmed.

He has won the last four races and will aim to make history in the half marathon event ahead of October’s Chicago marathon.

Farah, a six-time world champion, has competed in every Great North Run since 2013, finishing second in his first outing and winning in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Farah said: “I can’t wait to come back to Newcastle and race again.

“It’s something I look forward to every year, the crowds are always unbelievable and it’s a good course for racing.

“To be the best in the world you have to beat the best and it’s going to be no different here. I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Last year’s fourth win equalled Benson Masya’s record, with the Kenyan winning over the 13.1mile distance in 1991, 1992, 1994 and 1996.

Olympic and World champion Vivian Cheruiyot will also return to Tyneside as she bids to make it two victories in three years.

She won on her debut over the distance in 2016, and finished second to winner Mary Keitany last year.

She said: “I am looking forward to returning to England for the Simplyhealth Great North Run.

“It was a magnificent race when I won here for the first time in 2016 and I want to be on top of that podium again next month.”

LONDON, August 18, 2018 (News Wires) - Former UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage says he is joining up with a pro-Brexit pressure group to oppose British Prime Minister Theresa May's plan for future ties with the European Union.

Farage was a key figure in getting Britain to hold a referendum in 2016 on EU membership, and helped lead the successful "leave" campaign.

Britain is due to leave the EU on March 29, but divorce negotiations have faltered.

May's proposal to retain close economic ties has been received coolly by the EU. And it has infuriated hardcore Brexit-backers in Britain, who say it will leave the UK tethered to the bloc.

Farage wrote in Saturday's Daily Telegraph newspaper that he would join a campaigning bus tour by the group Leave Means Leave to oppose May's "cowardly sell-out."

 

 

LONDON, August 18, 2018 (News Wires) - Britain may have to rethink the decision to leave the European Union if the Government is unable to strike a Brexit deal with Brussels, a former head of the Civil Service has warned.

Lord Kerslake said the consequences of a “no-deal” break would be so serious, Parliament would have consider whether it could allow it to go ahead.

The peer, who has advised Labour on preparing for government, said that at the least there would have to be a “pause” in the Article 50 process under which the UK is set to leave the bloc on March 29 next year.

In those circumstances, he said, the European Commission would almost certainly insist on some “re-examination” of the original 2016 referendum decision to leave.

His comments came as the Government prepares to publish a series of technical notes on preparations for a no-deal Brexit across dozens of areas of British life, from farming to financial services.

Lord Kerslake said the measures were “too little, too late” and that the Government had not allowed itself enough time to prepare for such an outcome.

He told the the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: “The consequences of a no deal would be so serious as I think Parliament would have to seriously consider whether it could contemplate this.

“The question people need ask themselves is: is this a risk that they think we should be taking?

“If the Government can negotiate a good deal, then so be it. But if they can’t and we end up in this position, then we have to reopen the question of whether we go forward with Brexit at all. It is not too late to do that.

 

LONDON, August 15, 2018 (News Wires) — Police in London have returned a 12th century statue of Buddha to India after recovering it 57 years after it was stolen.

Police handed over the bronze statue with silver inlay during a ceremony Wednesday in London marking India’s Independence Day.

The Buddha was one of 14 statues stolen from a museum in Nalanda, eastern India, in 1961.

Police were called after representatives from the Association for Research into Crimes Against Art and the India Pride Project noticed the statue at a trade fair. The dealer and the owner co-operated fully and, upon learning the item had been stolen, agreed to return it.

Detective Constable Sophie Hayes says the case is “a true example of co-operation between law enforcement, the trade and scholars.”

LONDON, August 15, 2018 (News Wires) - British authorities said they are considering turning the area around Parliament into a pedestrian zone to prevent future vehicle attacks as police searched three properties for clues about the motivation of a man who plowed into cyclists and pedestrians.

Local media on Wednesday identified the suspect as Salih Khater, a 29-year-old British citizen of Sudanese origin. Police searched the suspect’s apartment in Birmingham, as well as another property in the city and a third in Nottingham. A Facebook page for a man of the same name says he lives in Birmingham, works as a shop manager, and has studied at Sudan University of Science and Technology.

British authorities do not name suspects until they are formally charged.

The incident was the second in less than 18 months in which a suspected terrorist used a vehicle to attack the heart of Britain’s government. Over the past two decades authorities have tightened security around Parliament with fences, crash barriers and armed police. Now the rise of vehicle attacks around the world is triggering calls for traffic to be barred from the area.

“So some of the things we’re keen to do, working with the Palace of Westminster, working with the council and the experts, is to part-pedestrianize that part of Parliament Square immediately outside the gates to Parliament, but at the same time making it attractive,” London Mayor Sadiq Khan told the BBC.

While such a project presents challenges, Khan said, “it’s possible to have a design solution that meets the objectives … in relation to keeping our buildings and our people as safe as we can do, but also not losing what’s wonderful about our city which is a vibrant democracy.”

LONDON, August 14, 2018 (AP) — A car plowed into pedestrians and cyclists near the Houses of Parliament in London during the morning rush hour Tuesday, injuring three people in what police suspect is the latest in a string of vehicle-based attacks in the British capital.

Armed police flooded the area after the incident was reported at 7:37 a.m., hauling the driver from the vehicle, arresting him and cordoning off streets surrounding the heart of Britain’s government. The nearby Westminster subway station was closed, and police asked people to stay away from the area.

“Given that this appears to be a deliberate act, the method and this being an iconic site, we are treating it as a terrorist incident,” Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu of the Metropolitan Police Service told reporters outside Scotland Yard.

A man in his late 20s was arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences. The suspect was not co-operating with police, and officers were trying to confirm his identity, said Basu, who oversees U.K. counterterrorism policing. No other suspects have been identified and police believe there is no further threat to Londoners, he said.

U.S. President Donald Trump has called the crash outside Britain’s Parliament “another terrorist attack in London.”

Trump tweeted: “These animals are crazy and must be dealt with through toughness and strength!”

Eyewitnesses said the silver car was travelling at high speed when it hit pedestrians and cyclists, then crashed into a barrier designed to protect Parliament from vehicle attack. Two people were taken to local hospitals and another was treated at the scene. One woman remained hospitalized Tuesday afternoon, but her injuries aren’t believed to be life threatening, authorities said.

“The car drove at speed into the barriers outside the House of Lords. There was a loud bang from the collision and a bit of smoke,” Ewelina Ochab told The Associated Press. “The driver did not get out. The guards started screaming to people to move away.”

Jason Williams also saw a car moving at high speed.

“It didn’t look like an accident,” he said. “How do you do that by accident?

Page 1 of 23