TRIPOLI, Sept 21, 2018 (MENA) - The death toll from weeks of fighting between armed groups in Libya's capital, Tripoli, has climbed to at least 96 people, including civilians, authorities said on Friday.
In addition to the fatalities, the clashes have wounded 444 people. Also, 16 people are missing, ABC News reported.
The violence has shattered a UN-brokered cease-fire reached earlier this month.
The Libyan Health Ministry said on Thursday, 11 people, including eight civilians, were killed and 33 others were wounded in southern Tripoli.
The UN mission tweeted on Thursday, urging warring parties "to immediately cease all acts of violence in Tripoli."
MARSA MATROUH, Egypt, Sept 14, 2018 (MENA) - As many as 301 Egyptians returned home from Libya via Salloum Crossing over the past 24 hours.
Twenty-one of the returnees had illegally traveled to Libya, Matrouh security chief Hesham Nasr said in a statement on Friday.
In the meantime, travel procedures for 971 persons, including 203 Egyptians and 768 Libyans, have been finalized, he added.
Also, 121 trucks were allowed into Egypt from Libya to be loaded with Egyptian goods, he said.
CAIRO, September 12 , 2018 - Arab foreign ministers asserted a firm commitment to preserving the unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the three war-torn countries of Syria, Libya and Yemen and rejection of foreign interference in their domestic affairs.
The assertion came in three resolutions released by the Arab League Council at the end of its 150th ordinary session. The meeting was held at the level of Arab foreign ministers under the chairmanship of Sudan. The three resolutions are entitled “The Developments of the Situation in Syria”, “The Developments of the Situation in Yemen” and “The Developments of the Situation in Libya”.
In “The Development of the Situation in Yemen” resolution, the Arab League Council asserted the continuation of support for constitutional legitimacy in Yemen under the chairmanship of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. It would back measures taken by the legitimate government to normalise the situation, end the coup and restore security and stability to all Yemeni governorates.
The ministers also backed the stance of the Yemeni government and its adherence to the Gulf initiative, the outcome of the national dialogue, the United Nations Security Council resolution No. 2216 and other international resolutions of relevance.
On Syria, the Arab League Council said that the only possible way out of the Syrian crisis was represented in a political solution realised in the participation of all Syrian parties in a way that meets the aspirations of the Syrian people. This is in accordance with the Geneva 1 statement which was released on June 30, 2012 and with relying on the resolutions and statements released in this regard, especially the UN resolution 2254 for 2015. The ministers also highlighted their support for UN efforts in holding the Geneva meetings to reach a political settlement of the Syrian crisis. It called for co-operation between the Arab League and the UN to make the Syrian negotiations a success.
On Libya, the council renewed its commitment to respecting the unity, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Libya. It supported the efforts of the presidential council of the national reconciliation government to preserve peace, undermine the activity of the terrorist groups and consolidate the state’s sovereignty over all the country’s territory.
The 150th round of the Arab League Council started in Cairo on Tuesday, attended by 18 Arab foreign ministers. The ministers discussed the development of the situation in the region; especially the Palestinian cause which is passing through a dangerous stage, the challenges facing Arab national security, ways of combatting terrorism and the development of disputes in a number of Arab countries, especially Syria, Libya and Yemen.
ROME, September 12, 2018 (News Wires) - Conditions in Libya are too unstable to hold elections, Prime Minister Fayez Seraj was cited as saying on Wednesday, casting doubts on a French-led push for a vote in December which aims to end years of turmoil and unify the North African country.
French President Emmanuel Macron hosted a conference in May where rival Libyan factions agreed to work with the United Nations for a national election by Dec. 10.
Libya splintered following the 2011 NATO-backed revolt that toppled Muammar Gaddafi, and since 2014 has been divided between competing political and military groups based in Tripoli and the east.
“You can not vote with instability in the streets ... it is necessary that everyone accepts the result of the ballot. We need shared rules,” Seraj, who leads the UN-brokered transitional government based in Tripoli, said in an interview with Italian daily Corriere della Sera.
Armed groups have vowed to resume hostilities if talks to be hosted by UN Special Envoy Ghassan Salame do not result in a lasting settlement.
Seraj has close relations with Italy.
His main rival, military commander Khalifa Haftar, is aligned with a government based in the east and is seen as closer to France.
Seraj also said factions would need to agree on a constitution before any vote is held.
“We had talked about elections in Paris, but the constitutional document, which is ready but not approved, must first be voted on,” Seraj said.
“Unfortunately, the parliament of Tobruk has not yet examined it. Without the constitution, how can one go to a national vote?”
CAIRO, September 11, 2018 (News Wires) — Doctors Without Borders says more than 100 people have died in a shipwreck off the Libyan coast and the remaining survivors are being held in detention in Libya.
The humanitarian organisation says in a Monday news release the shipwreck occurred September 1 and survivors include people with severe burns, pregnant women and babies. A team from the organisation provided medical care.
The group says two rubber boats left the Libyan coast carrying migrants from Sudan, Mali, Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Libya, Algeria and Egypt. One of the boats deflated and sank.
The Libyan Coast Guard recovered 276 survivors from both boats and brought them to the port city of Khoms, Libya, and only two bodies were reportedly recovered.
Libya has emerged as a major transit point to Europe for those fleeing poverty and civil war elsewhere in Africa.
TRIPOLI, September 10, 2018 (Reuters) - Blasts were heard at the headquarters of the National Oil Corporation (NOC) in the Libyan capital on Monday and a security operation was under way at the building, a Reuters witness said.
Smoke could be seen rising from close to the NOC offices and security officials said they were attempting to deal with militants believed to have attacked the building.
Security forces took up positions around the offices in central Tripoli and surrounding roads were cordoned off.
A Reuters witness saw ambulances leaving the site. A member of staff from a hotel next to the NOC offices said he had heard about five blasts.
Tripoli was shaken by clashes between rival armed groups at the beginning of this month but the capital has also seen occasional militant attacks.
In May, Islamic State claimed a deadly attack on the national election commission offices in Tripoli.